solvent free

< Previous | Next >

violapais

italian
I have to write the description of a product (a creamy hand cleaner) to be put on the label. It has to be short and incisive, leaving out verbs if possible. I have to say that this product is solvent free and doesn't contain any blistering substance, but my sentences are probably wrong:

"Solvent free and without any blistering substance"
"(It) doesn't contain either solvent or any blistering substance"
"(It) doesn't contain neither solvent nor any blistering substance"

Help!

• JamesM

Is it normal to find blistering substances in hand cleaner? :eek:

A "blistering substance" would be something that causes blisters. It seems like a very odd statement to put on a hand cleaner. It strikes me as odd as putting "poison-free" on a bottle of milk. It would only make me wonder if you offered other products that did include such substances.

Are you sure "blistering substance" is what you want to say?

violapais

italian
    Blistering stands for "which causes irritation to the skin". Industrial hand cleaners are really "strong" and sometimes aggressive to the skin. It normally depends on the skin-type of the user. This hand cleaner is studied for users with sensitive skin that cannot stand aggressive products. I hope it might help. :)

JamesM

Browsing briefly on the internet for "industrial hand cleaner sensitive" I find phrases such as "skin friendly", "safe for sensitive skin", "free of harsh solvents, dramatically reducing the possibility of dermatitis", "reduces the instances of dermatitis."

I would not use "blistering substance" because it sounds like some products actually include an ingredient specifically designed to cause blisters. Although "safe for sensitive skin" is very vague compared to "no blistering substances", it is more typical of what I would expect to read in the description of such a cleaner here in the U.S. "Dermatitis" is also a good catch-all word that covers blistering and skin irritation.

I am not a translator, so I have no idea how faithful you must be to the original.

violapais

italian
    Skin friendly is... cool!!!! :)
    I haven't to be faithful to the original, no problem.
    Thank you for your help!!!

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >