somber procession

jordantall

Cantonese-Hong Kong
can someone please explain its meaning?

I have just googled it but I have no clues about this phrase

• jordantall

Cantonese-Hong Kong
    You should give us a sentence and context – but the two words have their normal means, if that helps.
    here it is 'Qin's army of clay soldiers and horses was not a somer procession but a supernatural display of bold colors:red and green, purple and yellow.'

Copyright

American English
    No, these are just the words that the writer has chosen to use. He/She is using "somber" in contrast to "colorful." When the Terracotta Warriors were first created, they were "a supernatural display of bold colors:red and green, purple and yellow." Because they have been buried so long, their colors have been lost and now they are gray, colorless, somber (in color).

And here's procession:
    1. the act of proceeding in a regular formation
    2. a group of people or things moving forwards in an orderly, regular, or ceremonial manner

So you could have a colorful/loud/joyous/regal procession ... or any of a number of other adjectives.

jordantall

Cantonese-Hong Kong
    No, these are just the words that the writer has chosen to use. He/She is using "somber" in contrast to "colorful." When the Terracotta Warriors were first created, they were "a supernatural display of bold colors:red and green, purple and yellow." Because they have been buried so long, their colors have been lost and now they are gray, colorless, somber (in color).

And here's procession:
    1. the act of proceeding in a regular formation
    2. a group of people or things moving forwards in an orderly, regular, or ceremonial manner

So you could have a colorful/loud/joyous/regal procession ... or any of a number of other adjectives.
    ok :) i get it

< Previous | Next >