Some means should also be developed for gathering information on the results supported by developmen

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Jin akashini, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Jin akashini Senior Member

vietnamese
    Hi every one,

Can you please help me to understand this sentence. To me, it is so complex, can you give me clearer and simple explanation ? I do not understand the meaning of "means", "supported by", "critical assumptions" here..and consequently, I do not understand the whole sentence.

Of course, I consult dictionary for the meaning of each word, but when they are combined together to create such sentence, I do not understand.

"Some means should also be developed for gathering information on the results supported by development partners and on the status of critical assumptions, although less rigorous standards apply ".

The sentence is drawn from a document of USAID (United states agency for international development), named "Performance Monitoring and Evaluation". Here is the link, page 2.

http://pdf.usaid.gov/pdf_docs/pnaby214.pdf.

Thanks,

2. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
    Well, don't blame your education for failing to understand what is written; blame the writer's education for having written it that way. I is is almost incomprehensible as written, and only slightly more comprehensible when the context is included.

"Means" = "a method by which something is done".

He seems to be saying that they want to have some data or method for checking on the assumptions that they have made. And that data should either support or undermine those assumptions based upon the results.

But this is reading like so much gibberish; as though the writer wanted to fill the pages and make the document seem more important than it is. In other words it sounds like a government bureaucrat at work.

Maybe others will chime in with a better "translation" of what the writer meant.

3. Jin akashini Senior Member

vietnamese
    Thanks for explaining meaning of "means". However, I do not understand your point clearly,

"Some means should also be developed for gathering information on the results supported by development partners and on the status of critical assumptions, although less rigorous standards apply"

=> what "results supported by development partners" means ?

"He seems to be saying that they want to have some data or method for checking on the assumptions that they have made. And that data should either support or undermine those assumptions based upon the results".

=> Data and method ? I think, they only want data by using means/methods because in the original sentence, there is phrase" ...gathering information the results supported by development partners". I think that information in this sentence means data.
    =>
    Data ? is data results supported by development partners ?

I'm so confused :confused: extremely confused.

4. Packard

Packard Senior Member

USA, English
    "results" means "results.

It would make some sense if it read "results reported by development partners", but I cannot make real sense of this as written.

The information in the grey block above that may be what they are trying to say:

Reengineering requires operating units to use a participatory approach in selecting indicators for their performance monitoring system. Collaborating closely with development partners, host country counterparts, and customers at each step of the indicator selection process has many benefits. It makes good sense to draw on the experience of others and obtain their consensus throughout the process.

5. Jin akashini Senior Member

vietnamese
    Oh, Hi Packard, It is difficult for us to understand this vague paragraph, I 'm wondering whether "results supported by development partners" should be "objectives of the development partners." I just guess. Oh, you made mistake "supported by", not "reported by".