some more than others

oolongtea777

Mandarin (Traditional Chinese)
Hi, everyone.

What does "some more than others" mean in this context:
Your dog is a wild animal that has been domesticated (some more than others).
And, as with humans, any species' best diet is its native one. And a dog's native diet? MEAT.

I saw the sentence from an article about preparing homemade dog food. I can't tell what "some" and "others" represent here. It baffles me. It will be very helpful if any thought were provided.

Thanks.:)

Last edited:
  • Yondlivend

American English
    Your dog is a wild animal that has been domesticated (some more than others). And, as with humans, any species' best diet is its native one. And a dog's native diet? MEAT.

I saw the sentence from an article about preparing homemade dog food. I can't tell what "some" and "others" represent here. It baffles me. It will be very helpful if any thought were provided.
    "Some" and "others" refer to "dogs." It could have just as well said, "some dogs have been domesticated more than others (have)." The way I interpret it, "your dog" is one out of many which have been domesticated, but certain dogs maintain more "wild" behaviors/characteristics, that is to say they are less integrated into life with humans as opposed to life in the wild.

That's what I got out of it. I hope that helps.

ewie

English English
    Thanks:) The person who wrote that let his English run away with him a bit there. He means:
    Pet dogs are wild animals that have been domesticated (some pet dogs have been domesticated more than others).
    EDIT: As Yondlivend says:)

oolongtea777

Mandarin (Traditional Chinese)
    Thank you so much for your explanation, Yondlivend. That is very helpful and easy to understand. Now it makes sense to me!

And thank you ewie. Sometimes the languages people are using are too concise, so that I have hard time make out what they mean.:eek:

< Previous | Next >