Some people in the UK have heaters homes

< Previous | Next >

Lun-14

Banned
Hindi
Hi

Some people in the UK have heaters homes.

Is the above sentence correct?

I take this sentence to mean: Some people in the UK have heaters [in their] homes.

Can you please confirm?

Thank you.

• Lun-14

Banned
    Hindi
    I am disappointed that both of the above respected members have misunderstood my question (it seems that they did not read my question thoroughly). I used "home" in my sentence as an adverb as is in I'm going home. -> home is an adverb.

"Heaters" is simply a noun in my sentence.

pob14

American English
    I am disappointed that both of the above respected members have misunderstood my question (it seems that they did not read my question thoroughly). I used "home" in my sentence as an adverb as is in I'm going home. -> home is an adverb.

Make it three members (I'm not sure how respected I am) - and this explanation really doesn't help me. What are you trying to say?

Wait, I think I do understand. You just want to know if you can eliminate "in their" from "heaters in their homes"? No, you can't do that.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    Adverbs don't have plural forms. "Home" as an adverb is always "home".

When there is movement, we can say "I'm going home" (to my house). When we talk about what is in one's home, we have to say "at home" (in my home).

Some people have a heater at home/in their home.

We don't often use "have an x at home" to talk about fixtures in our houses:

I have central heating in my house. I have a wood fire in my Athens home.
    I have a ginger cat waiting for me at home.

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    I take this sentence to mean: Some people in the UK have heaters [in their] homes.
    I used "home" in my sentence as an adverb as is in I'm going home. -> home is an adverb.
    No point being disappointed - no one could have known you meant to use "home" as an adverb from your OP. And it doesn't make a difference - your original sentence is not correct in any case.

Lun-14

Banned
    Hindi
    Make it three members (I'm not sure how respected I am) - and this explanation really doesn't help me. What are you trying to say?

Wait, I think I do understand. You just want to know if you can eliminate "in their" from "heaters in their homes"? No, you can't do that.
    I'm happy you understand. ;)

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)

(You did not write your question thoroughly:))
    Again, please tell us where this sentence came from.

< Previous | Next >