some time and sometime

angelica1985

Italian
Hi there!
what's the differnce in meaning in these two sentences if any?

How about meeting up monday or tuesday evening sometime?
How about meating up monday or tuesday evening some time?

• zapzap

Italian
    Hi,
    How about meeting up Monday or Tuesday evening sometime?
    How about meeting up Monday or Tuesday evening some time?

here's an example:
    Sometimes he enjoys spending some time catching up on his favourite soap operas; the last time he did that was some time in August.
    Bye

Last edited:

JuicyJew

English
    It should be sometime in this instance. But there are some times that "some time" would be used (yes pun intended). Such as:

They were over there for quite some time.

mikerotheatre

UK English-South-East
    Every English-speaker has a different way of understanding and using the language: for me, the position of the words is important. "Some time on Monday or Tuesday evening" means it will be the nearest Monday or Tuesday, and it's definitely going to happen, only the precise time needs to be fixed, and whether it's Monday or Tuesday. However, "On Monday or Tuesday evening sometime" - well, don't hold your breath! Is that a brush-off or what? Or else the person asking is not very confident about getting the meeting they want...

All of which is different from "sometime" the adjective meaning "was once, but isn't any more, and I can't be bothered to look up the dates", e.g. sometime Professor of Classics at Edinburgh University. The usage turns up with a bitter bite in Shakespeare. To be precise [since I've just remembered] Lear refers to Cordelia, whom he has just cursed, as "thou, my sometime daughter", because she isn't any more.

Last edited:

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    What's the differnce difference in meaning in between these two sentences, if any?

How about meeting up Monday or Tuesday evening sometime? :tick:
    How about meeting up Monday or Tuesday evening some time? :cross:
    Sometime means at an indefinite time, at any hour during one of those evenings. The first sentence is correct and means that you'd like to get together with the person at some point, either Monday or Tuesday evening.

Some time means an unspecified quantity or period of time; your second sentence doesn't work. This would make sense, though: How about spending some time together Monday or Tuesday evening?

P.S.: Days of the week are always capitalized.

angelica1985

Italian
    Sometime means at an indefinite time, at any hour during one of those evenings. The first sentence is correct and means that you'd like to get together with the person at some point, either Monday or Tuesday evening.

Some time means an unspecified quantity or period of time; your second sentence doesn't work. This would make sense, though: How about spending some time together Monday or Tuesday evening?

P.S.: Days of the week are always capitalized.

Thank you very much for all the correction, Parla.
    Anyhow, the second sentence..........was written by a native speaker who texted me exactly like that!

Probably it was just a mistake and he even didn't realized it!....

but it confused me! ;-)

JuicyJew

English
    Ah well it's a whole other thing if it was a native texting you that. It's still incorrect, but spelling/grammar is not something English speakers really care about in text messaging! I would advise you not to assume that they are using correct english, nor that they care to.

angelica1985

Italian
    Ah well it's a whole other thing if it were a native texting you that. It's still incorrect, but spelling/grammar is not something English speakers really care about in text messaging! I would advise you not to assume that they are using correct english, nor that they care to.

Ok! thank you very much!.........
    But sometimes it's very difficult to understand if I am the one who doesn't know the correct expressions or if it is like you said!
    :)

Loob

English UK
    To be honest, I'm not as convinced as others seem to be that "some time" in the original sentence is a mistake.

Here's what my (second edition: 1970) Fowler's Modern English Usage has to say on the subject:
    Some time is often used elliptically for at some time or another. There is no essential objection to writing it some-time or sometime, but it is convenient to keep it in to separate words for distinction from the sometime that appears in such descriptions as [...] 'sometime Rector of this Parish' meaning formerly.
    Angelica, if you put some time sometime into Dictionary and thread title search, you'll find several other threads on this subject:).
    I would advise you not to assume that they are using correct english English, nor that they care to.
    I take it that was a joke, JuicyJew.

Last edited:

JuicyJew

English
    Hey, I'm just another one of these poor uneducated native kids who never worries about punctuation and suffers from textaphrenia :)

EDIT: Oh and you're right loob, Incorrect is the wrong word. But personally I find sometime much better, on account of how I like to use it. "Some time" seems to have an air of "hanging" perched at the end here.

Last edited:

angelica1985

Italian
    To be honest, I'm not as convinced as others seem to be that "some time" in the original sentence is a mistake.

Here's what my (second edition: 1970) Fowler's Modern English Usage has to say on the subject:
    Some time is often used elliptically for at some time or another. There is no essential objection to writing it some-time or sometime, but it is convenient to keep it in to separate words for distinction from the sometime that appears in such descriptions as [...] 'sometime Rector of this Parish' meaning formerly.
    Angelica, if you put some time sometime into Dictionary and thread title search, you'll find several other threads on this subject:).
    I take it that was a joke, JuicyJew.

Thank you very much for the suggestion Loob. So according to the Dictionary..........I should use 'some time' in those contexts!!!:)

Loob

English UK
    Hello again, angelica

No, that wasn't quite what I meant.... As you can see from this thread - and the others I pointed you to - some people do make a very clear distinction between "sometime" and "some time". All I was saying is that not everyone does:).

angelica1985

Italian
    Hello again, angelica

No, that wasn't quite what I meant.... As you can see from this thread - and the others I pointed you to - some people do make a very clear distinction between "sometime" and "some time". All I was saying is that not everyone does:).

Understood. Thank you all!

< Previous | Next >