Some woman visited you yesterday

< Previous | Next >

alohafromjapan

Japanese
1) Some woman visited you yesterday

This Some woman means A certain woman or A woman?
If so,what is the difference between Some woman,A certain woman and A woman?

• Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    This Some woman means A certain woman or A woman?
    I haven't understood the distinction you're trying to draw.

It means "A woman" but the use of "some" implies that the speaker doesn't know the woman personally. It also sounds a little casual, bordering on impolite (in respect of the woman). I wouldn't advise saying this to someone you are on formal terms with if there's a chance that she's his relative or friend.

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Some woman is possible but extremely disrespectful, in most circumstances.

There was a cartoon in the Daily Mirror newspaper many years ago, about a character called Andy Capp, a working-class man who never does any work, always wears a cap, and is his own handicap.

In one instance, Andy is standing naked in a bathtub in his front room scrubbing himself when his wife Flo' comes in. Andy says to her 'Why don't you knock. You might have been some woman.' (I've disentangled the elisions indicating dialect speech.

The joke is that Flo' is, of course, a woman, but Andy meant any woman, a woman he wouldn't wish to see him naked, ie. any woman other than Flo'.

A certain woman means a particular woman, to whom the speaker or writer wishes to draw attention.

A woman means the same as some woman but is perfectly polite.

Because of possible overtones of disrespect and political correctness, and the sensitivity of people in general, these terms need using with care.

alohafromjapan

Japanese
    Thanks,Barque and Thomas:):):)

In my mother tongue,their translations are the same:confused:
    If I say Some boy,it still sounds impolite?

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Yes: in BE, this use of "some [woman]" implies that you don't regard the person as being worth paying much attention to. It's distinctly derogatory in tone.

I believe that it doesn't have the same negative connotation in AE, where it seems to be much more widely used.

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    1) Some woman visited you yesterday
    By the way, I think you mean that a woman "came to see you yesterday". I assume you're informing someone that a woman had come to see them when they were out.

"Visited" suggests she actually met the person.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >