someone else may

novice_81

German
Hi

A girl and a woman locked themselves in the church tower. They were afraid of people who were outside in the church. When the canon came and started banging on the door, the girl said:

Thass the Canon,’ said Ethel jubilantly. ‘We’re all right
now. He never had nothing to do with them.’

‘Wait,’MissMayfield said.‘Wait,’ she said again. ‘Just one more minute. Someone
else may. And, oh . . . (The Witches/Peter Curtis)

Does the sentence "someone else may" refer to "He never had nothing to do with them".

So the woman is trying to say that they should wait one more minute because outside, behind the door, someone else may have something to do with "them"?

• gringuitoloco

American (awesome) English
    Hi

A girl and a woman locked themselves in the church tower. They were afraid of people who were outside in the church. When the canon came and started banging on the door, the girl said:

Thass the Canon,’ said Ethel jubilantly. ‘We’re all right
    now. He never had nothing to do with them.’

‘Wait,’MissMayfield said.‘Wait,’ she said again. ‘Just one more minute. Someone
    else may. And, oh . . . (The Witches/Peter Curtis)

Does the sentence "someone else may" refer to "He never had nothing to do with them".

So the woman is trying to say that they should wait one more minute because outside, behind the door, someone else may have something to do with "them"?
    Given just this as the context, I would say yes. It could be referring to something else further back, but I doubt it.

suzi br

English / England
    Is that the correct punctuation for Miss Mayfield's speech? It seems incomplete as an utterance, so I would expect it to have a couple of dots at the end to show that. If there are dots then she hasn't quite finished the idea, and it would refer to the danger in some way.

Otherwise it doesn't make sense to me!

novice_81

German
    Is that the correct punctuation for Miss Mayfield's speech? It seems incomplete as an utterance, so I would expect it to have a couple of dots at the end to show that. If there are dots then she hasn't quite finished the idea, and it would refer to the danger in some way.

Otherwise it doesn't make sense to me!
    I agree: If it said: Someone else may .... - then it would be clear. However there's only one dot at the end, but probably it's a typo and there should be 3 dots not one.

< Previous | Next >