Someone steamrolled Harry Potter.

< Previous | Next >


Senior Member
Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
Hello, again. I hope this finds you fine.

"Someone steamrolled Harry Potter" --- does this mean "Someone ran over and flattened Harry Potter," hence Hurley meant Sawyer's face was a flattened version of Harry Potter?

(Sawyer just received and put on make-shift glasses)
SAWYER: Har, har, very funny.
HURLEY: [walking by] Dude, it looks like someone steamrolled Harry Potter.
[Kate and Jack are amused]
(Lost, Deus Ex Machina)

  • George French

    Senior Member
    English - UK
    I have looked up your reference to get the context and I still have no idea what it means...

    Last edited:


    Senior Member
    English, UK
    Harry Potter is noted for his oldfashioned spectacles. The glasses donned by Sawyer are described as makeshift, and therefore of poor quality and/or possibly damaged. Hurley explains that they have been made that way by having a steamroller pass over them.


    Senior Member
    British English
    It is a reference to the style of glasses worn by Harry Potter.

    As if someone had coerced Harry Potter to hand over his glasses, and now Sawyer is wearing them.

    Matching Mole

    Senior Member
    England, English
    I expect the joke relies on a visual element. If we were to see Sawyer in this glasses we might immediately get the point. I imagine the glasses are big, as flattened things spread out, and in cartoons it's common to see flattened people or things looking like "pancake" versions of themselves. Of course, only in a cartoon universe would glasses spread out when run over by a steamroller, but this is what I think we being asked to imagine.
    < Previous | Next >