someone they know has abused me [omission of subject relative pronoun]

happy_helper

Korean
I think a necessary baseline for a friendship is "Would this person continue to spend time socially with someone they know has physically and emotionally abused me?".

I feel this part is ungrammatical.
I don't know exactly what it is, but I think some relative pronoun or adverb ?? is missing.

What do you think?
Thank you in advance.

• se16teddy

English - England
    We regularly omit that and relative pronouns in English, and one that (introducing indirect speech or indirect thought) and one relative pronoun have been omitted in this sentence.

The complicating factor here is that, within the relative clause, the relative pronoun is in a subsidiary clause. The relative clause is They know that someone (replaced by implied relative pronoun) has abused me.
    Someone has abused me.
    They know that someone has abused me.
    They know someone has abused me.
    Someone who they know has abused me.

It is obligatory to omit that when it occurs within a relative clause like this.

Last edited:

happy_helper

Korean
    We regularly omit that and relative pronouns in English. The complicating factor here is that, within the relative clause, the relative pronoun is in a subsidiary clause. The relative clause is They know that someone (replaced by implied relative pronoun) has abused me.
    Someone has abused me.
    They know that someone has abused me.
    Someone who they know has abused me.

I'm grateful of you to explain in detail.
    I have one more question.!
    Can subject relative pronouns be omitted??

GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    There is a problem, though, with that use of "me." How many people are you talking about? Your sentence strongly suggests there are three: the speaker, the abuser, and a third person who would spend time socially with the abuser. If you replace the nouns with names to express the same idea, you would get something like "Would Jane continue to spend time socially with Robert if Jane knew that Robert has physically and emotionally abused me?"

Since the sentence talks about an "emotional baseline" for friendship generally, I suspect what you really want is: I think a necessary baseline for a friendship is "Do I want to continue to spend time socially with someone who has physically and emotionally abused me?"

Loob

English UK
    (GWB, Google tells me that happy_helper's sentence is a quote from www.slate.com/Dear Prudence: it's an agony aunt's response to a reader asking whether she should rekindle a friendship with a woman who has stayed friendly with her {the reader's} abusive ex-husband.)

EDIT: typo

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >