someone who doesn't like even a bit of illogical development

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
Hi, I'm just trying to remember an adjective (or, an expression) that describes the type of person who thinks he/she knows the best, doesn't like anything that contains even a bit of illogical development in discussion, is condescending, and is very vocal. I'm not looking for a list. I'm just in pursuit of a fitting word/expression. I've been trying to find one to no avail.

He/she would be like "I don't think it makes a lot of sense. You know, it's not logical. Huh! You don't know this. You're sorry ...."

"He/she is too puffed up" is short on what I'd like to say.

Any suggestion would be highly appreciated.

Last edited:
  • HSS

You may be describing someone who can be called a know-all or know-it-all.

If you look this expression up in a synonym dictionary, you may get some clues.The forum synonym dictionary doesn't appear to be of any help here, but you may get one or two ideas from the Urban Dictionary (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=besserwisser).
    I'm getting warm. Thanks. Actually that word crossed my mind but I dismissed it. What if I wanted to emphasize the sense that he/she placed importance on 'logic, coherence, consistency'? The word could be used when we are in the attitude of 'We don't care, dude. Relax. We just like to enjoy the conversation.'

He/she goes like 'Your explanation lacks logic. ... (his/her inner voice) You're wrong. You and your weak brain.'

Last edited:

e2efour

UK English
    Someone who over-emphasises logic, consistency etc. can be described as a nit-picker or a pedant. But this is different from being a know-all. It is difficult to combine the two concepts in one word.

Last edited:

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Hi, I'm just trying to remember an adjective (or, an expression) that describes the type of person who thinks he/she knows the best, doesn't like anything that contains even a bit of illogical development in discussion, is condescending, and is very vocal.
    In my experience, that defines an Englishman, but I really ought not to let my prejudices get in the way of the language issue.
    It's difficult to find a concise description for this kind of person. The characteristics are self-importance, an element of pomposity, overwhelming self-confidence.
    You see lots of these people on the UK/US TV programme/program "The Apprentice" - which may help others find a specific term.

HSS

the type of person who thinks he/she knows the best, doesn't like anything that contains even a bit of illogical development in discussion, is condescending, and is very vocal.

He pushes too much logic on us, and never loosens up.

A bit different from the type of person above, but does this make sense?

< Previous | Next >