Someone who only wash dishes at restaurant

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Platino, Oct 12, 2008.

  1. How do you call someone who only wash dishes at restaurant ? .... Steward ?

    Thank you :)
  2. somebody said "helper" but I'm not quite sure...
  3. chajadan Senior Member

  4. thank you charlie :)
  5. Matching Mole

    Matching Mole Senior Member

    England, English
    It sounds a little bit plain in these days of important-sounding job titles, but "dishwasher" is the name of this position, and you will see it in recruitment ads throughout the English-speaking world.

    There is also a "kitchen porter", who may do washing up as well as general cleaning, moving things around, taking care of food deliveries, etc. In a large establishment there will probably porters and dishwashers, however, doing separate jobs.

    "Steward" is only used in certain contexts such as aeroplanes, ships, etc., and as the one in charge of catering in certain clubs and institutions, but not restaurants generally. In any case, a steward either manages the dining rooms and bars, or prepares food and serves customers directly, rather than staying in the kitchen washing up, etc.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2008
  6. Cagey post mod (English Only / Latin)

    English - US
    I agree that "dishwasher" is the standard word.

    If you are interested, here is a thread on an American slang term sometimes used by people who work in restaurants: sudsbuster.

Share This Page