something of a mother's lad

Ada..

Español- Andalucia, España
Hi again!!!
I am still fighting with the same text. Let's see what does something of a mother's lad mean?
Now contextualised:
He was a fair-haired fellow of thirty-two, with a fair moustache. He was broad in his speech, and looked like a foundry-hand, which he was. But women always liked him. There was something of a mother's lad about him - something warm and playful and really sensitive.

I thought of two possibilities:
a. someone who goes arround with many women
b. one of those men who is mother-dependent

Thanks!
Ada..

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Think of another possibility, in this case:
    c. a man who has been brought up by his mother and understands much more than most men the kind of relationship that women value and who knows and appreciates that gift and its implications.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Sorry, Ada -

(a) I really don't think so - I've never come across the term with that meaning.

(b) yes, this is the normal meaning. It doesn't quite fit in this particular context, hence I suggested (c), which would, I think, fit with the general characteristics of Lawrence characters. I could be completely wrong.

french4beth

US-English
    panjandrum said:
    Think of another possibility, in this case:
    c. a man who has been brought up by his mother and understands much more than most men the kind of relationship that women value and who knows and appreciates that gift and its implications.
    Excellent - please send one my way! ;)

It could also indicate a sense of boyish charm and not an overly 'macho' type; I don't think that a. or b. would apply because most women don't like men who are momma's boys (meaning overly attached to/dependent on their mothers).

< Previous | Next >