Something of a / somewhat of a problem

Nexsus

Banned
romanian
Hi everyone !
I've read that "something of a" and "somewhat of a" both mean "a little/ a bit"
As in " you're somewhat of/something of an expert on wine. " Which means that you are a little expert as far as wines are concerned . ( At least I hope I've got it right. )
But when it comes to " something of a/somewhat of a + noun " how can I translate them ?
E.g. " you're somewhat of a/ something of a problem. "

Any reply would be very helpful guys :)

• Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    I agree with Keith. It's the same in AE. The expressions "something of a/an . . . " and "somewhat of a/an . . . " have the same meaning. ("Identical" means "exactly the same".)

Nexsus

Banned
    romanian
    I'm not looking for a translation into Romanian, I just wanted to understand the pattern " something / somewhat of a ... " to check whether I've learnt it the right way, but to be honest , I'd like to know how to rephrase the sentence " you're something of a / somewhat of a problem for me. "

Andygc

British English
    "You are a bit of a problem for me" is how to rephrase it, but it actually means "You are a rather big problem for me". Similarly, "I hear you're something of an expert on wine" actually means "I hear you know quite a lot about wine".

suzi br

English / England
    "You are a bit of a problem for me" is how to rephrase it, but it actually means "You are a rather big problem for me". Similarly, "I hear you're something of an expert on wine" actually means "I hear you know quite a lot about wine".
    Being British, we also know that people might say things like this with a supercilious air, as though not believing the claimed authority of the other person. I think that applies to both phrasings too.

wandle

English - British
    Both are good, the meaning is identical.
    I agree about the meaning, but on grounds of style I prefer 'something'.

That is because, in the topic phrase, the word is a noun and in my view it is better to keep 'somewhat' as an adverb ('somewhat problematic') and 'something' as a noun ('something of a problem').

Nexsus

Banned
    romanian
    Thank you guys!
    So, " you're something of a / somewhat of a problem for me "
    Means that you are quite a big problem for me, doesn't it?

< Previous | Next >