something other that

< Previous | Next >

mtr

español - Argentina
I have a doubt about "something other" but I am not able to answer it from the information of previous posts on this expression. I write here the two sentences:

"For motor behaviour or bodily movement to count as a kinetic memory, the following conditions must be met: (a) the motor behaviour or bodily movement must be causally linked to a past personal experience through memory traces; (b) the motor behaviour or bodily movement must be a performance in which something otherthat took place in the past can be seen;"

"First, both of them are bodily movements and motor behaviors that meet the conditions mentioned before: (a) they are causally linked to a past personal experience; and (b) something other that happened in the past can be seen through them because they are part of an explicit, conscious process of remembering, that is, because the subject performs these movements with a past representative intention."

My proofreader told me that it is not grammatical and proposed me to change it by "else", but the problem is that if I change it by "else" I have the impression that the whole sense of the sentence changes (but I may be wrong). I do not want to say that "something else that took place in the past, besides other thing that took place in the past, must be seen" The meaning is "something else than simply motor behavior performed by me must be seen through this motor behavior, and this something else must have taken place in the past".

The suggestion of adding "other than that" does not work here because there is the "that" of "that took place in the past".

Any suggestions to reformulate this expression?

• lingobingo

English - England
    I don’t disagree with changing it to “else”. But another way would be to rephrase “something other” as, for example: “some other event” (or maybe “an associated event”?).

mtr

español - Argentina
    Thanks for the reply. But with "else" you don't think that the meaning changes? That it would mean: "something else that took place in the past, besides other thing that took place in the past, must be seen"?

In any case, I like your suggestion of "some other event".

Cheers,

mtr

español - Argentina
    And in this case, "something other" is correct? (The copyeditor has not corrected it, but maybe she just forgot about it)!

". These examples refer to motor behaviors that present something other than themselves: when these motor behaviors are enacted, they mean and indicate a past “bodily” event, that is, bodily movements and motor bahaviors that happened in the past"

lingobingo

English - England
    The more I look at these sentences, the more I think that “other” (or “else”) is ambiguous anyway. If – as I suspect – (b) refers to the same past event as (a), they would seem to make more sense as follows:

… the motor behaviour or bodily movement must be a performance in which the event that took place in the past can be seen;

the past event can be seen through them because they are part of an explicit, conscious process of remembering​

(I’m not sure what’s meant by “seen”.)

< Previous | Next >