something so socially awkward vs. something socially so awkward

The sentence below is from http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2010-12/fyi-what-evolutionary-purpose-tickling

Although you might be able to tickle a total stranger, your brain also strongly discourages you from doing something so socially awkward.

Could you tell me if I can use something socially so awkward instead of the words underlined.

I have learned that you usually use adverbs between so and adjectives. But while googling, I found some expressions as below. That is why I ask you this question.

1...he is smart, no language delays, but is socially so awkward ...

2. She does look like Slater and Annie, but her character is socially so awkward I don't think she knows what is happening.

3. The thing that makes me sigh is the fact that he is socially so awkward!

Are those words colored red grammatically correct? If the answer is yes, I think something socially so awkward could be acceptable.

Any comment would be appreciated.

• Copyright

American English
    All three of those are correct, but in those cases, "socially" comes after "is." In the original sentence, it comes after "something" – to describe it. I would leave the original as "so socially awkward" and suggest that the word order will depend on the construction of the sentence. A grammarian can no doubt add more to my layman's description. :)

< Previous | Next >