something (with) chocolate for dessert

jesusguime

Banned
Chinese
I am very partial to chocolate, so I always have something chocolate for dessert.

Hi,
The above is a stand-alone sentence from an English magazine. I find "something chocolate" very odd, and I'm inclined to put a "with" between them to sound right. Am I right? Thanks.

• johnnyboy

english
    I think it means."I am very partial to chocolate, so I always have *something chocolate for dessert".
    *The person wants something that is chocolate for dessert.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Thanks, Johny.
    Do you mean the base sentence sound right as it is?
    Yes, the sentence is correct as it stands.

I think that you're thinking of "chocolate" as the dark brown physical thing that we know as "chocolate" (such as a chocolate bar). The person who wrote the text is referring to "chocolate" as the flavour. They might want chocolate pudding, chocolate pie, chocolate cake. They want "something chocolate" for dessert.

chamyto

Spanish
    I am very partial to chocolate, so I always have something chocolate for dessert.

Hi,
    The above is a stand-alone sentence from an English magazine. I find "something chocolate" very odd, and I'm inclined to put a "with" between them to sound right. Am I right? Thanks.
    _If you say something chocolate I suppose you are speaking of a piece of chocolate.

_If you say something with chocolate I interpret it as you want something that contains chocolate, apart from other sweets

Dimcl

Canadian English
    _If you say something chocolate I suppose you are speaking of a piece of chocolate.

_If you say something with chocolate I interpret it as you want something that contains chocolate, apart from other sweets
    No, this is not correct. "something chocolate" does not mean a piece of chocolate (as I indicated in my previous post).

chamyto

Spanish
    Yes, the sentence is correct as it stands.

I think that you're thinking of "chocolate" as the dark brown physical thing that we know as "chocolate" (such as a chocolate bar). The person who wrote the text is referring to "chocolate" as the flavour. They might want chocolate pudding, chocolate pie, chocolate cake. They want "something chocolate" for dessert.
    And why don´t we say in the conext you are explaining "anything chocolate"?

losilmer

jesusguime, If you say "I am very partial to chocolate" you mean that you are very fond of chocolate or that you have a penchant or small addiction to chocolate.
    So, as a result, you always have to have [eat] something [containing or having or tasting like] chocolate for dessert.
    The sentence is correct.
    The sense is "something chocolaty or chocolatey". That's to say, the word "chocolate" plays the role of an adjective here.
    Therefore, I would say that you are not right, sorry.

Last edited:

JamesM

And anything with chocolate?
    To me this means it could be anything that included chocolate on top, on the side or as one of the ingredients but not the primary ingredient.

Fresh raspberries drizzled with chocolate sauce, vanilla pudding with a chocolate ladyfinger, and oatmeal chocolate chip cookies would all be things with chocolate.

< Previous | Next >