something worn or carried to show off

Timlo

Chinese
I am looking for a noun that means something worn or carried to show off and a noun that means something that is only good on the surface.

Thanks all.

• Barque

Tamil
    Could you give us a sentence with a blank for the word you're looking for please, to help us understand the context?

Timlo

Chinese
    1. She always love showing off what she has. This timepiece is encrusted with diamonds. It is not a good watch but it is a good ________.(something worn or carried to show off)

[Second question removed. DonnyB - moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

Packard

USA, English
    "A good bit of boast" might work.

If the encrusted diamond watch does not accurately represent the persons true wealth (an expensive watch, but he's not so wealthy), then "braggadocio" might work.

It is not a good watch but it is a good bit of braggadocio.

It is not a good watch but it is a good bit of boast.

It is not a good watch but it makes a good show piece.
    (An ornament for showing off.)

Packard

USA, English
    I'd use an adjective here.
    It's not a good watch. It's ornamental/just for ornament.
    Or: It's only for show.
    I think it depends upon what he really wants to say about the person. There are many nuances and I am not sure what he wants to say about the person. Here are a few. I'm sure that there are more.

1. A person who shows off his wealth.
    2. A person of moderate wealth wanting to pretend that he is wealthier than he is.
    3. A person of no wealth at all showing off (probably a fake) watch to make him seem wealthy.
    4. A person who shows off his wealth for the sole reason of making others feel insignificant.

< Previous | Next >