Somewhere in/on the internet

< Previous | Next >

LookAtMe

Italian
Lilian - "Did you get the email I sent you yesterday?"
Andrew - "No, I did not".
Lilian - "But I did send it. How come you never got it?"
Andrew - "Well, if you ask me, computers are nothing but machines bound to be imperfect at times and I suppose your email must've got stuck somewhere in the internet/on the internet."

What's the correct preposition here? "In" or "on"?
Thank you in advance for your reply/ies.

• LookAtMe

Italian
    heypresto,
    it's an imaginary conversation that I came up with so that l could ask my question.
    Thank you for your reply.

LookAtMe

Italian
    heypresto,
    l must say I'm wondering why you asked where I got that snippet from. Is it because it sounds unnatural English? Is it the rare name of Lilian that makes it all unreal, or else?

heypresto

English - England
    Two reasons - one is that the forum's rules require the source of any sentences given as part a question to be provided. If they are quoted from a book (or TV programme or film etc), the title and author etc should be supplied. If the sentences are written by the poster, it's a good idea to say tell us that.

And secondly, Andrew's second line sounds rather unnatural in places.

And possibly third - yes, 'Lilian' is quite a rare and old-fashioned name, (my grandmother was called Lilian).

LookAtMe

Italian
    heypresto,
    1. in the future I will mention the source or if it is an imaginary conversation.
    2. How would you yourself rephrase Andrew's second line to make it sound natural without changing his view on the fallibility of computers?
    3. Lilian: an old-fashioned name, but lovely! I have an aunt called Liliana.

heypresto

English - England
    How would you yourself rephrase Andrew's second line to make it sound natural without changing his view on the fallibility of computers?
    You'll need to ask about this in a new thread. We can't proofread, or re-write sentences, but we can answer questions about specific words or phrases you are not sure about.

< Previous | Next >