son envers

sketchyproposal

USA, English
Hi
i'm trying to translate this, but having trouble with the precise usage of the phrase 'son envers' here.

"Apparaît cet usage non conventionnel du discours indirect libre qui caractérisera beaucoup de textes ultérieurs, avant devenir un théme: une manière de prêter sa voix aux paroles d'autrui qui finit par se confondre avec son envers - parler pour son propre compte en empruntant la voix d'un autre."

He's talking about the odd intermingling of commentator and commented-upon in Deleuze's book Nietzsche and Philosophy. The problem he's getting at is how when Deleuze writes on others, he's finding a way to speak in his own name. All i need to know is how 'son envers' becomes an object here...

i know it's usually 'towards', or 'inside', or 'reverse side' or something like that....but none of those make sense here.

any help?

thanks / merci!

edit: since i've not posted threads like this before (although i've read many by other people), tell me: was i right to post this under vocab, or should this be in "grammer"?

• Kelly B

USA English
    Its opposite, or perhaps its converse.

Edit: welcome, sketchyproposal, and this is the right place. Nice context. :thumbsup:

Camis12

England, English
    Sort of like the normal sense of 'other side' but here it's the other side of the argument rather than a physical other side.

sketchyproposal

USA, English
    thanks both of you!

here's a first run at it:

"Here appears the nonconventional use of the free indirect discourse which will characterize many of the later texts, before itself becoming an explicit theme: a manner of lending one’s voice to the words of others that ends by merging with its other side - to speak on one’s own account by borrowing the voice of another. "

what do you think?

thanks again.

< Previous | Next >