sono poche le piante in grado di sopravvivere, le più elette

Kim Gordon

Spanish - Latin America
Hi everyone!

Could you please help me review this phrase?

Original:
- A questa altitudine sono poche le piante in grado di sopravvivere, le più elette.

My tries:
- At this altitude, a few plants are able to survive, [only] the finest ones/the most select;
- At this altitude, not many plants are able to survive, only a select few;

Any ideas to make it sound more natural?

Thank you!

• HalfTaff

English - UK
    Perhaps "Only the fittest plants can survive at this altitude" - "fittest", of course, being in the Darwinian sense.

rrose17

Canada, English
    I prefer the word hardy here but perhaps it’s a bit far from the original. Otherwise to make yours sound a little more natural I might suggest
    Only a few of the most select plants are able to survive at this altitude.

Kim Gordon

Spanish - Latin America
    Perhaps "Only the fittest plants can survive at this altitude" - "fittest", of course, being in the Darwinian sense.

Thank you so much, HalfTaff! I should've given a better context in my post earlier, but I need to preserve the "poetic" tone in the sentence. Do you have any other ideas?

Kim Gordon

Spanish - Latin America
    I prefer the word hardy here but perhaps it’s a bit far from the original. Otherwise to make yours sound a little more natural I might suggest
    Only a few of the most select plants are able to survive at this altitude.

Thank you!

I like your suggestion. Reordering the words, could this work? Can I say "only the most select", or do I have to say "only the most select ones".

At this altitude, a few plants are able to survive, only the most select/only the most select ones.

Thanks again.

rrose17

Canada, English
    To make it sound a little better I’d go with
    At this altitude, few plants survive, only the most select are able.
    At this altitude few plants, only the most select, survive
    I think the second one is better.

HalfTaff

English - UK
    Rrose's suggestion of "hardy" is the obvious term to use. Can't think why it didn't occur to me. "Select" sounds distinctly odd to me in this context.

(Cross-posted).