Sonreír sin humor

Raygirl

Spain - spanish
Hola!
La expresión que vengo buscando en inglés es "sonreír sin humor". En cuanto al contexto, trata de alguien a quien le han contado algo que no es bueno para él y éste sonríe, pero de una manera como incrédula o irónica, quizás molesta, aunque NO con tristeza. Por ejemplo:

Me dijo que ya había tenido bastante y que no quería seguir siendo mi perrito faldero. Yo sonreí sin humor, preguntándome cómo podía tener la osadía de hacerme quedar como el malo de la película.

Mi intento sería el de traducirlo como "Smiled without humour" o "smiled ironically". "Humorless" creo que no se adapta a la situación que busco. ¿Alguien tendría alguna otra opción posible? Gracias.

• Raygirl

Spain - spanish
    Thank you everybody! I can't addapt the expression directly from spanish, so I guess "smiled ironically" is my first choice in this context. However, the other options will be useful for other contexts. Thanks again!!!! :) :thumbsup:

Raygirl

Spain - spanish
    I don't see any irony in the given situation, so I'm not sure why people are suggesting it in the translation.
    Well, it does for me. It's one of those situations when you it really means that you smile just not to hit or insult that person, because you are kind of hurt but don't want to go down to his/her level. Technically, "ironical smile"works for me.

dalv

English - US
    given the whole context would this work?
    I smiled sarcastically/in disbelief asking myself, how dare she makes me out to be the bad guy!

fenixpollo

American English
    Well, it does for me. It's one of those situations when you it really means that you smile just not to hit or insult that person, because you are kind of hurt but don't want to go down to his/her level. Technically, "ironical smile"works for me.
    For me "ironical" is not good English. Also, like Masood, I wouldn't use "ironic smile" for every insincere situation: only in a situation where irony was involved.

Raygirl

Spain - spanish
    For me "ironical" is not good English. Also, like Masood, I wouldn't use "ironic smile" for every insincere situation: only in a situation where irony was involved.
    Alright, I see... so... maybe "sarcastically" as Dalv said? "Humourless" seems ok to me too, like Masood, Rodal and Jasminasul mentioned. I think I'll choose among these two.

Thanks everybody!

ain'ttranslationfun?

US English
    An alternative to "humorous(ly)": mirthess(ly)". Otherwise "wryly". Perhaps even "painful(ly)"? We can speak of a "yellow laugh" (less common then the word-for-word equivalent in French); why not a "yellow smile"? (Okay, that may be a bit far-fetched.)

< Previous | Next >