Sont également autorisées...

< Previous | Next >

madsh33p

English - UK, German - Germany
Hi everyone,
I am translating the Terms and Conditions for a new website and I really can't get my head around the following sentence:

Sont également autorisées, sous réserve, de gratuité, et d'indication claire du nom de l'auteur et la source, les analyses et courtes citations justifiées par le caractère critique, polémique, pédagogique, scientifique ou d'information de l'œuvre à laquelle elles sont incorporées.

I have tried to translate it literally, but it just makes no sense to me? I am guessing that there is something a little off about the punctuation...

Would be very grateful if anyone could shed some light on this, especially on how to translate the bold part... And have I understood correctly that what is in italics is that which is authorised?

Thank you so much for any help.

• cropje_jnr

English - Australia
    You would probably need to flip it around in English.

=> Analysis and brief citations [...] are allowed, provided they are free, and the name of the author and the source are clearly indicated.

Retaining the French word order would be possible, but would perhaps sound a little clunky.

madsh33p

English - UK, German - Germany
    Okay thanks, that does make more sense. But now I don't know how to fit in the part after 'justifiées. I assume, this relates to the 'analysis et citations'...

< Previous | Next >