Sore Toe - Tom Sawyer

mmbt

English
Hi
in Tom Sawyer
Jim began to waver.
‘White alley, Jim! And it’s a bully taw.’
My! Dat’s a mighty gay marvel, I tell you!
But Mars Tom I’s powerful ‘fraid ole missis —‘
‘And besides, if you will I’ll show you my sore toe.’
Jim was only human — this attraction was too much
for him.
<< Duplicate quotation. >>
i cant get my head around " if you will I’ll show you my sore toe " meaning ? most attention is focused on " Sore Toe " it doesn't make sense . what does that mean ? would you help me .
thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
  • PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I think it is to be taken literally: "If you want, I'll show you my infected toe."

This is confirmed in the next line:
    Jim was only human--this attraction was too much for him. He put down his pail, took the white alley, and bent over the toe with absorbing interest while the bandage was being unwound. In another moment he was flying down the street with his pail and a tingling rear,

Last edited:

mmbt

English
    Hey
    thank you PaulQ
    i have been meaning to tell you , "I'll show you my infected toe" is a shade meaningless phrase , i wonder .correct me if I'm wrong, showing his infected toe doesn't seem interesting for Jim .

mplsray

Hey
    thank you PaulQ
    i have been meaning to tell you , "I'll show you my infected toe" is a shade meaningless phrase , i wonder .correct me if I'm wrong, showing his infected toe doesn't seem interesting for Jim .
    "I'll show you my infected toe" is not meaningless at all. It is literally true. Jim was eager to see the toe in question. The reason he left suddenly was that Tom's Aunt Polly had slapped him on his backside with a slipper for taking out time from his work.

Myridon

English - US
    The story tells you that "the attraction was too much for him (to resist)" and that he "bent over the toe with absorbing interest." In fact, Jim is so interested in the toe that he doesn't notice Aunt Polly until she slaps him on the rear with her slipper.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Hey
    thank you PaulQ
    Sometimes people are interested in seeing another person's sore or injury. However, most adults, if they are curious about this, don't admit it. In this book, Jim has some qualities that he shares with the boys, Tom and Huck. He is more open in his responses than most adults are.

< Previous | Next >