sorority girl lifting her baby?

ddubug

Korean
Hi,

As a foreigner, I can't get any clue to understand this sentence.

<You take a photo of a Delta Nu sorority girl lifting her baby-t at Mardi Gras, and if it's in black-and-white, it'll somehow look poignant and profound.>

The author is trying to say the beauty of 'black-and-white' photo that makes everything less sleazy.

I know his intention, but what happens to 'a Delta Nu sorority girl lifting her baby-t at Mardi Gras'??

This is a bit American thing. I think.

• ragraham

English - Australian
    Hi,

<You take a photo of a Delta Nu sorority girl lifting her baby-t at Mardi Gras, and if it's in black-and-white, it'll somehow look poignant and profound.>

The author is trying to say the beauty of 'black-and-white' photo that makes everything less sleazy.

I know his intention, but what happens to 'a Delta Nu sorority girl lifting her baby-t at Mardi Gras'??

1. Delta and Nu are two greek letters, american fraternities and sororities are named with greek letters.

2. i assume that a baby-t is just a small t-shirt

3. mardi gras is the festival described here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mardi_Gras

Last edited by a moderator:

mplsray

Hi,

To add to what ragraham has said, one tradition of Mardi Gras is for some men to walk along the parade holding a great many cheap plastic necklaces, one of which they will throw as a prize to women watching the parade who lift up their blouses or t-shirts to expose their breasts to the crowd. That action is what is being described by "lifting her baby-t."

Last edited:

Loob

English UK
    Sorry - clearer explanation coming - why should baby mean boob?
    :confused:

(And what does the -t mean?)

suzi br

English / England
    Isn't it a T-shirt? I thought that baby is acting as an adjective to suggest a small/ tight fitting T (shirt)

Loob

English UK
    Isn't it a T-shirt? I thought that baby is acting as an adjective to suggest a small/ tight fitting T (shirt)
    Suzi - you're a star - I finally understand it!
    Baby= small
    T= t-shirt.

That was really difficult:(

< Previous | Next >