sorry for the delay, I was sick

kitkat89

English - Ireland
I am new to portuguese and I need to know how to say this sentence. google translate gives me "desculpe pela demora, eu estava doente" is that correct?

• Darth Nihilus

Brazilian Portuguese
    Hello kitkat, welcome to Wordreference.

Yes. The sentence google provided you is correct. However, it could also be desculpe pelo atraso. It depends on the context.

demora - someone is taking too long to do something
    atraso - someone is taking more time than previously expected to carry out something.

If these definitions still seem confusing, please provide a bit more context so we can return a more accurate answer.

kitkat89

English - Ireland
    Thank you!
    So the context is I am making a graphic/design for a portuguese speaker who does not speak english, I expected to have it done well before christmas but I got the flu so there was a long delay. Would I use atraso in this scenario?

xiskxisk

European Portuguese
    Thank you!
    So the context is I am making a graphic/design for a portuguese speaker who does not speak english, I expected to have it done well before christmas but I got the flu so there was a long delay. Would I use atraso in this scenario?
    In that case, I'd say something like this: peço desculpa pelo atraso, estive doente e só agora me foi possível concluir o trabalho.

Atrasado - being late
    Demorado - taking too long

You can use both because the "demora" causes the "atraso". If you take too long to do your work, you'll be late.

< Previous | Next >