- Sorry! The general director is not available today.(around)

• Barque

Tamil
    Could you be a little more specific please? Are you asking if around is the correct answer, or why it is the correct answer, or something else?

ali7772016

arabic egypt
    Thank you for your kind reply

: In each sentence below there is a word in boldface. From the words below each choose the one that has the nearest meaning to the boldfaced word.

Sorry! The general director is not available today.

a) active

b) passive

c) around

d) connected

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    Ah! And you think that c is the correct answer?

I agree. "Around" and "available" do not have the same meaning. But in this context, this is the best choice. The director might be around but be too busy to see anyone. He might be in meetings all day, and so be unavailable. I think an argument could be made for "connected" - if we can't reach him by phone or by email, he is certainly not available. But I think you have chosen the best answer, and it's the only one that would make sense in the sentence.

Barque

Tamil
    I assume that since you've highlighted around in your first post, you think that's the right answer. You're correct. "Around" means physically present in this context and that's the closest to "available" among those four.

Cross-posted

ali7772016

arabic egypt
    Ah! And you think that c is the correct answer?

I agree. "Around" and "available" do not have the same meaning. But in this context, this is the best choice. The director might be around but be too busy to see anyone. He might be in meetings all day, and so be unavailable. I think an argument could be made for "connected" - if we can't reach him by phone or by email, he is certainly not available. But I think you have chosen the best answer, and it's the only one that would make sense in the sentence.

Thank You so much

ali7772016

arabic egypt
    I assume that since you've highlighted around in your first post, you think that's the right answer. You're correct. "Around" means physically present in this context and that's the closest to "available" among those four.

Cross-posted
    Thank you so much

< Previous | Next >