Sorry ! The subscriber you dialed is power off.

< Previous | Next >

如沐春风

Chinese
In China, if you telephone someone who has shut off his/her cell-phone, you'll hear, from the mobile operator, a voice notice saying:Sorry ! The subscriber you dialed is power off.

Now my questions:
1. Is it correct to use "power off"? According to power off - Wiktionary, power off is a transitive verb.
2. Is it to right to use "powered off" ?
3. Idiomatically, what would native speakers say in this situation?

I was hoping you could give me an explanation. Thank you.

• boozer

Bulgarian
    When our telephone companies play those recorded messages, a lady tells me, with an excellent British accent (and even a glottal stop) 'the subscriber's telephone is not switched on'.

By the way 'the subscriber is power off' is ungrammatical.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    "Power" is both a verb and a noun".

1. Is it correct to use "power off"? According to power off - Wiktionary, power off is a transitive verb.
    2. Is it to right to use "powered off" ?
    3. Idiomatically, what would native speakers say in this situation?
    1. It is incorrect. "Power off" isn't an adjective.

2. "Has been powered off" would be correct, if the subjects was "phone" and not "subscriber". The subscriber is a person, and can't be "off".

3. I would say:
    - The subscriber has powered off their phone.
    - The phone you dialed has its power off.

In cellphones, there is a difference between 2 common states:

A) "turned off" but still accepting incoming calls. This is a low-power state, not actually "off".
    B) "power is off". The phone is not functioning in any way.

Because "turned off" is used about state (A) in phones, we can't use it for state (B).

Roxxxannne

English (northeastern US)
    The subscriber you dialed is power off. :cross:
    The subscriber you dialed is powered off.:cross:
    The phone you dialed is power off. :cross:
    The phone you dialed is powered off.:tick:

sdgraham

USA English
    Idiomatically, what would native speakers say in this situation?
    In the U.S. for my service, the recording says, "The person is not available," especially since the telephone company has no way of knowing whether whether the subscriber's phone is turned off, out of range or in a tunnel someplace. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Eric Chengdu

Chinese
    In China, if you telephone someone who has shut off his/her cell-phone, you'll hear, from the mobile operator, a voice notice saying:Sorry ! The subscriber you dialed is power off.
    I can't believe that these Chinese Telecom companies have been using and playing the wrong recorded message for several decades:eek:
    In the U.S. for my service, the recording says, "The person is not available,"
    Here in china, it says "Sorry!The subscriber you dialed can not be connected for the moment, please redial later."

Last edited:

如沐春风

Chinese
    Thank you all most sincerely. Here in China, the recorded message from China Mobile Communications Group Co.,Ltd, IS: Sorry, the subscriber you dialed is power off. Please dial again later.

london calling

UK English
    In the UK I hear 'The person you have reached is unavailable. Please try again later', which means that either the phone is off or that there's no signal. The Chinese version is incorrect, as the others have said.

如沐春风

Chinese
    In the UK I hear 'The person you have reached is unavailable. Please try again later', which means that either the phone is off or that there's no signal. The Chinese version is incorrect, as the others have said.
    I agree. The Chinese version is incorrect. We can dial a telephone No, but not a subscriber. We can say the phone is powered off but not that the person is powered off. :D:D

< Previous | Next >