sotto le aquile di Roma

< Previous | Next >

spero

english (USA)
Original Italian
l’arrivo di un nuovo “leader” mette definitivamente in crisi la possibilità d’un colpo di mano per assumere in prima persona le redini del Regno di Israele, sia pure sotto le aquile di Roma.

My attempt
the arrival of a new leader could lead to an uprising in order to take over the Kingdom of Israel, even if it is still controlled by Rome.

I would like to make sure that my translation of "sotto le aquile di Roma" is correct.

Thanks!

• lightning223

Italian
    Ciao,
    "Sotto l'aquila di Roma" è il titolo di un libro di Simon Scarrow, il cui titolo originale è: "Under the eagle".
    In ogni caso hai carpito perfettamente il senso!
    Cheers

Wade Aznable

Italian
    Hi!
    Even if still controlled by Rome is correct; the original mentions the military insignia of the roman legions, a golden eagle.

Anyway, the translation is partially wrong: the italian statement means
    The arrival of a new leader leads once and for all to a crisis the chance of an uprising to take over the Kingdom of Israel, even if still under Roman rule.

vale_ca

Italiano
    I think sotto le aquile di Roma means something more than "controlled". Maybe "ruled"...

If I understand correctly your translation, note that mette definitivamente in crisi does not mean "could lead to an uprising" but somethink like "throws into crisis for good a possible uprising" - that is: it puts an end to any possibility of an uprising.

Last edited:

Odysseus54

Mod huc mod illuc
    Italian - Marche
    Original Italian
    l’arrivo di un nuovo “leader” mette definitivamente in crisi la possibilità d’un colpo di mano per assumere in prima persona le redini del Regno di Israele, sia pure sotto le aquile di Roma.

My attempt
    the arrival of a new leader could lead to an uprising in order to take over the Kingdom of Israel, even if it is still controlled by Rome.

I would like to make sure that my translation of "sotto le aquile di Roma" is correct.

Thanks!
    The part on the eagle is OK, but couldn't you say "albeit under the Roman eagle" ? I think that, since the Americans also use the eagle as a symbol of military power, perhaps you could keep the metaphore.

The previous part, however, means something different :

"The arrival of a new leader upsets for good the possibility of a (violent) takeover, albeit under the Roman eagle"

I put 'violent' in parentheses, because I don't know what kind of 'colpo di mano' we are talking about here.

A 'colpo di mano' is the initiative of a minority , for instance a small group of military leaders etc. An 'uprising' sound to me more like a popular rebellion.

spero

english (USA)
    The part on the eagle is OK, but couldn't you say "albeit under the Roman eagle" ? I think that, since the Americans also use the eagle as a symbol of military power, perhaps you could keep the metaphore.

The previous part, however, means something different :

"The arrival of a new leader upsets for good the possibility of a (violent) takeover, albeit under the Roman eagle"

I put 'violent' in parentheses, because I don't know what kind of 'colpo di mano' we are talking about here.

A 'colpo di mano' is the initiative of a minority , for instance a small group of military leaders etc. An 'uprising' sound to me more like a popular rebellion.
    Thank you all. The reason I've cut "once and for all...possiblity of..." is because I was asked to simplify and make the sentence shorter.

< Previous | Next >