sought me out quite a bit

NewAmerica

Mandarin
Does "sought me out quite a bit" mean "chose me out among my classmates (because I am a bit more talented)"?

Thanks in advance

The professor was not her adviser. Nevertheless, “He invited me to lunch a few times and just sought me out quite a bit. And then he invited me over to his house to watch a movie.<......>

-By Linda Wang, Andrea Widener

Source:Confronting sexual harassment in chemistry | September 18, 2017 Issue - Vol. 95 Issue 37 | Chemical & Engineering News

• JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Seek out means, in this context, to solicit the student’s company. There is no indication in the sentence why (so your talented comment is not warranted) but, given the subject matter, most people would interpret this “seeking their company” as “seeking an opportunity to harass sexually”.

seek out
    vb (tr, adverb) to search hard for and find a specific person or thing: she sought out her friend from amongst the crowd

Last edited:

heypresto

English - England
    I don't think it was anything to do with being more talented. In the next paragraph it says:

Those seemingly innocent actions became increasingly inappropriate. “The culmination was when he wrote me a love note. It was a proposition note, I guess. It basically said he wanted to have an affair with me."

Cross-posted.

NewAmerica

Mandarin
    Thank you.

So she was starting to be aware of the forthcoming inappropriateness at the time?

Last edited:

Packard

USA, English
    Thank you.

So she was starting to be aware the forthcoming inappropriateness at the time?
    It appears that she is aware of it now in retrospect. She became aware of it at the time she saw the note. She became suspicious when she realized that she was being invited when the rest of the family was away.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    Does "sought me out quite a bit" mean "chose me out among my classmates (because I am a bit more talented)"?
    By itself, this phrase does not say or imply the reason. It just says he made an effort to interact with her.

Other parts of the text make his reasons clear, as discussed above.

< Previous | Next >