sound as assertive/ sound assertive

< Previous | Next >

ray8838

Chinese
If you are making your own argument, do not use passive structures as it doesn't sound as assertive / assertive.

I know it is OK to say "it doesn't sound assertive", but is it correct to say "it doesn't sound as assertive."?

• Melrosse

French
    I wouldn't say "it doesn't sound as assertive."
    I would say "it doesn't sound assertive".
    If you insist on using "as", you could say "it doesn't sound as an assertive thing to do", for example.
    Hope it helps.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I agree that it would be better not to use 'as', for the same reason the passive is best avoided! It weakens the sentence. But "it doesn't sound as an assertive thing to do" is definitely not acceptable for several reasons.

The verb 'sound' is followed by an adjective such as good/wrong used adverbially because 'sound' is like 'look' and 'feel', verbs 'of the senses'. It can also be followed by 'like' + a noun - "That sounds like a good idea!".
    'As' can't replace 'like' here.

Last edited:

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    It looks as though "as" is comparative here: do not use passive structures as it doesn't sound as/so assertive
    In informal speech this might be normal, since "as the active voice" is understood. It looks sloppy in writing.

You might write "it sounds less assertive", where (I believe) the comparison where we are not told what is being compared is more acceptable. Others will not agree and say "less than what?"

ray8838

Chinese
    I agree that it would be better not to use 'as', for the same reason the passive is best avoided! It weakens the sentence. But "it doesn't sound as an assertive thing to do" is definitely not acceptable for several reasons.

The verb 'sound' is followed by an adjective such as good/wrong used adverbially because 'sound' is like 'look' and 'feel', verbs 'of the senses'. It can also be followed by 'like' + a noun - "That sounds like a good idea!".
    'As' can't replace 'like' here.
    Ignore the original context.
    Can I say “It sounds as assertive as something.”?

Myridon

English - US
    You have to tell us what "it" and "something" are to be able to have a useful conversation about the sentence.
    My sentence doesn't sound as assertive as John's sentence.

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    I agree that the use of "as" is not right in the OP except, as pointed out by Veli, if it is the first "as" of "as adjective as", in which case it is replaceable by "so".

It doesn't sound so assertive (as active voice/noun).

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Would you say "It doesn't sound like idiomatic"?
    It sounds as if there is some confusion going on, if we are talking about educated standard British English.
    "It sounds idiomatic" is a perfectly simple sentence, a statement of fact. It amazes me that you persist in asking contextless questions. Without context, there's no point, no meaning and often no possible answer.
    What idea is 'as' meant to express?
    as - WordReference.com Dictionary of English
    "It doesn't sound as idiomatic" can only be the answer to a question.

< Previous | Next >