sound like the title of a detective novel

< Previous | Next >

Pavel Pin

Telugu
Molly, who runs the poker games, introduce a new role:

It's time to introduce Douglas Downey, 'cause Downey's gonna take us all the way home. Downey was a drunk, and he'd stay after the game and hang out while I did the books. He was hard to understand when he was drunk, and his conversation openers would always sound like the title of a detective novel.

What is the meaning of "sound like the title of a detective novel"?
Source: Molly's Game 2017

• grassy

Polish
    I guess you should go through the titles of, let's say, Agatha Christie's novels, and see for yourself what they sound like. :D

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Traditionally, detective novels have a dramatic title, usually along the lines of, "The <adjective> <noun>" and no verb.

entangledbank

English - South-East England
    I don't think there's a real pattern to be found, but Raymond Chandler's Farewell, My Lovely and Trouble is My Business could both make conversation starters for a certain kind of drunk.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    "The Empty Bottle...;" The Bloody Bus..."; "A Strange Thing..." Some Woman's Umbrella...", etc., etc, - all good conversation openers... :D

Perhaps it's better as "The <noun> <adjunct>" "The Bottle on The Table"; "The Man from Yesterday"; The Money on The Horse"; "The Girl in the Pub"

< Previous | Next >