Meyer Wolfsheim

Senior Member

I would like to translate the English word "sound" which refers to the individual sound segments found in human language like /b/ /j/ /s/, etc.

I checked the dictionary but all I found is "phonème" which means phoneme in English but this is quite different from the "sound" I am looking for.

I have been writing a paper about poetry and individual sounds and their phonosemantic relation in French for a literature class, but my French teacher (who is not a native) has told me that "phonème" is not the proper word for "human language speech sound." In English we use "sound" under which allophone and phoneme derive from...

Is there a word that has that meaning in French or how would I express it without using "phonème?"

Or is "phonème" correct?
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Top