sounds coming from [TV vs the TV]

brighthope

Japanese
Hi,
My dog easily got scared of sounds coming from TV (the TV).
(Let's say the sound is something like a gunshot from a TV drama)

For example, in the above sentence, which is correct TV or "the" TV?
Or both?

What I think is that if I want to emphasize on the fact that the sound is from the TV set itself (i.e. the speakers of the TV) then I would use "the TV". But if I want to emphasize on the fact that the sound is from the TV program (rather than emphasizing "the TV" as a thing) then I would use "TV".

I would think either way in practice it wouldn't matter.
Would I be correct?

Thanks

• Loob

English UK
    I think with "... sounds coming from" I would always use "the TV", brighthope, because I would always mean "coming from the television set".

What I might say, though, is something like "my dog always gets scared when he hears gunshots on TV".
    ("My dog always gets scared when he hears gunshots on the TV" would also be possible:).)

brian

AmE (New Orleans)
    Loob said:
    I think with "... sounds coming from" I would always use "the TV", brighthope, because I would always mean "coming from the television set".
    Agreed.

Loob said:
    What I might say, though, is something like "my dog always gets scared when he hears gunshots on TV".
    Agreed.

Loob said:
    ("My dog always gets scared when he hears gunshots on the TV" would also be possible:).)
    Not agreed - unless "hears" is changed to "sees", which is a whole 'nother thing. :) Likewise, I'd never say, "What's on the TV?" unless I were asking about a bug crawling on the screen or a weird piece of art sitting atop the set.

But I believe "What's on the tele/telly?" is fine in BE, right? In that case, it wouldn't surprise me if "What's on the TV?" were also fine.

AlanT

American English
    Hi brighthope,

I agree with Loob. I would almost always say "the TV".

The only times I wouldn't would be if I was speaking about TV in general. (As in the previous sentence).;)

"I don't watch much TV."
    "...as seen on TV."
    "My TV is broken."
    "I own a plasma screen TV."
    Etc...

Alan

< Previous | Next >