Sounds Good [food?]

BolTan

France-French
Hi,

I've been arguing with a cousin about the usage of 'Sounds good' related to food. We both are not native english speakers. But I'm pretty sure about what I'm stating and I'd like to check with you guys. So here the arguing about :

He states that we can use "Sounds good" when it comes to dood when we want to say : 'it may tastes good', or 'it may be delicious'. I told him that you cannot use 'sounds good' for something that is not making any sound. EXCEPT if the food is being cooked or in any case where there is a sounds emitted by food (I don't think there are many) maybe in that case you can use 'sounds good' but in all other cases we must use 'Looks' or 'seems' when its appearance looks nice, or 'smells' when the smell is good, but we cannot say 'That milkshake sounds good!' with the meaning of 'looks' or 'seems'. So am I right?

I found something that supports my statement but I'd like to check with the experts!
the difference between words: look, seem, sound, feel

Thanks a lot.

• DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    ...but we cannot say 'That milkshake sounds good!' with the meaning of 'looks' or 'seems'. So am I right?
    You could say to someone "The milkshake sounds good" in the context of something like choosing items to order from a menu, but it doesn't work in the sense of sounds being emitted by food, no.

waltern

English - USA
    "How is your pizza?"
    "It sounds good." :cross:

"Let's go get something to eat - how about pizza?"
    "Pizza sounds good." :tick:

sdgraham

USA English
    I cannot conceive of any case where "sounds good" is a natural response to taste, smell, etc.

One might say, "let's go to MacDonald's," however, and "sounds good" would be appropriate.

[cross-posted]

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    We don't use 'sounds good' to approve a particular item.

We say 'sounds good' in relation to any proposal we like. I believe the underlying idea is something like "I like what you are saying."

When we say that the trumpet solo, for instance, 'sounds good', we mean something different.

BolTan

France-French
    Thank you very much for your answers. I was torturing myself trying to explain him that. But what bothers most is that he said that his english teacher told him his usage of 'sounds' was correct. :-/

Or maybe it's just how we ask the question. At least now he (and his english teacher) may read this :)

Thanks again you all.

sdgraham

USA English
    Thank you very much for your answers. I was torturing myself trying to explain him that. But what bothers most is that he said that his english teacher told him his usage of 'sounds' was correct. :-/

Or maybe it's just how we ask the question. At least now he (and his english teacher) may read this :)

Thanks again you all.
    As an added note,

Remember to always capitalize "English" and it's "explained to him," not "explained him."

< Previous | Next >