Sounds so cute...

ylt

China, Chinese
Hi,
I'm not an native English speaker and just talked on the phone with my bf who's american. He said "sounds pretty cute" on the phone, does this "cute" means that he could hear me clearly or means that my voice sounds cute to him???

Can anyone tell me about this??

• jaykemin

English
    I'm not so sure, maybe he's referring to subject that you are talking about that he finds it cute.
    What was your topic when said it to you???

Saluditos,
    Jaykemin

ylt

China, Chinese
    We were talking about my English pronunciation before he said that. He said :"Sound like an american, I'm jealous". Then, I laughed.. I forgot the specific words we said. But does "cute" have a meaning of "clear"?

Jonegy

UK - English
    Had a thought about this........

"cute" can mean so many things these days..... beautiful, sweet, charming .....

Then again - when I have been in the US, - using "the crack" (sarcasm) , I have heard --
    "hey - cute !! " as a reply, when an instant response wasn't forthcoming.

The point being "cute" appears to mean what the -(expletive deleted )-you want it to mean at the time you use it.

Clarification appreciated.

( I have told my nephews and nieces (in Rio) not to use this term under any circumstances. )

Even I am not sure.

('spose - like all english - 'pends way sed)

Negar

Tabriz, Iran. Farsi
    either the subject of what you were talking about was cute, or he thinks your voice is cute. Maybe he even thinks the tone of your voice is cute.

But it doesnt mean your voice is clear.

leenico

U.S.A. english
    Hi,
    I'm not an native English speaker and just talked on the phone with my bf who's american. He said "sounds pretty cute" on the phone, does this "cute" means that he could hear me clearly or means that my voice sounds cute to him???
    We were talking about my English pronunciation before he said that. He said :"Sound like an american, I'm jealous". Then, I laughed.. I forgot the specific words we said. But does "cute" have a meaning of "clear"?
    The fact that he said "Sound like an american, I'm jealous", Prior to saying "sounds pretty cute" I would think he was implying to the manner in which you were speaking. ;)

Sharon

United States, English
    Jonegy said:
    "cute" can mean so many things these days..... beautiful, sweet, charming .....

Then again - when I have been in the US, - using "the crack" (sarcasm) , I have heard --
    "hey - cute !! " as a reply, when an instant response wasn't forthcoming.

( I have told my nephews and nieces (in Rio) not to use this term under any circumstances. )
    Jonegy,

"Cute" is used in the US as a sarcastic comment, but I believe any word, said sarcastically, is not nice. It is all in the tone of voice, and there really is no reason to avoid the use of the word cute.

At a baseball game, if a catcher makes an impossible catch, the fans will stand up and applaud, shouting "Nice one!!"

In a bar, if a bartender picks up a wet glass that slides out of her hand immediately, and shatters on the floor, the customers will applaud wildly, pounding on the bar and shouting, "Nice one!!" and I really think they meant it sarcastically.

I'd have to say that I hear "Ain't love grand?!" used with wry humor more often than not.
    ( Divorce is about ten grand.:p)

If I am not mistaken, the use of 'cute' as a sarcastic comment was popularized by the Donny and Marie Show, which ran from 1976-1980. A large part of the appeal of the show was the comedy. As a brother-sister team, the Osmonds traded insults, and the audience loved it.

The classic line that came from the show was when Donny would say, "Cute Marie, real cute!" "The interesting thing about that line is that even though I always said it, I didn't come up with it. Marie was the first one to say it and it was an adlib," says Donny. http://www.osmond.com/donnyandmarie/70s-show.html

Sharon.:)

If anyone remembers watching the Donny and Marie Show...oh, go look at the pictures!! Hee,hee!! :p

< Previous | Next >