1. The forums will be closed for a major forum upgrade for around 2-4 hours on Sunday, starting around noon US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 18:00 in most of Europe). Details
    Dismiss Notice

source materials and/or assists

Discussion in 'English Only' started by AlwaysLearner, Aug 23, 2015.

1. AlwaysLearner Senior Member

Chinese
    Hello,

I am not sure how to interprete this sentence from a contract.

If Party B advises that the Seller use a certain supplier for source materials and/or assists, the Seller shall make its own inquiry and decision regarding such Supplier.

Does the "source materials" mean "raw materials"? "Assists" mean "auxilliary materials"?

Thank you in advance!

2. Parla Member Emeritus

New York City
    English - US
    What sort of work, services, or product does this involve? It's hard to know what these terms may mean without any context. And who are the parties to the contract?

3. AlwaysLearner Senior Member

Chinese
    This Party B is a luxury department store. Although in this contract in my hand, it does not mention any specific goods. It mentions shipment of goods (It uses the word "merchansise", and I generally referred to it by "goods" here during the discussion). It seems like a very general contract with no specific detail of the transaction.

4. Parla Member Emeritus

New York City
    English - US
    Who is the party called "the Seller", and what is the relationship of that party to the department store? Are you one of the parties? I don't know what you mean by "a general contract"; a contract always pertains to some condition, arrangement, or transaction between the parties, usually stated in the very first paragraph.

5. AlwaysLearner Senior Member

Chinese
    It does not mention who the sellers are, it does mention several sellers.

The title of this file is not ... contract, but ... contract terms and conditions. I don't know if this is supplementary terms or a basic framwork before/after they making more specific contract.

But my focus is on "source materials" and "assists". According to dictionary, "assist" as a noun means "mechanical and electromechanical that provides assistance."

Anyone familiar with such expression? Or does you have access that can help determine if this is the case? For, from where I am, I have limited sources to prove that.