sous le haut patronage

karim

ALGERIA BERBER
Je n'arrive pas à traduire l'expression: sous le haut patronage de son excellence le president de la république.

j'attends vos suggestions, c'est urgent.

merci

• lainyn

Canadian English
    Voici ma suggestion: "under the noble (prehaps "high") patronage of His Excellency the President of the Republic"

Rémarquez bien les magiscules en l'anglais.

la grive solitaire

United States, English
    Bonjour karim,

Here's my take on it:

sous le haut patronage de son excellence le president de la république.

"under the eminent/distinguished patronage of His Excellency the President of the Republic"

Aegis is a great word, but it's usually used with organizations--"under the aegis of the United Nations, the World Bank, the SPCA, etc."

[slinking away as quickly as possible...]

fetchezlavache

france
    in which country is it customary to refer to the president of the republic as 'his excellency' ? if it's france, i apologise of my ignorance of the etiquette... :(

Axl

England, English
    fetchezlavache said:
    in which country is it customary to refer to the president of the republic as 'his excellency' ? if it's france, i apologise of my ignorance of the etiquette... :(
    Korea, Turkey, Kenya, Nigeria, Uganda, Rwanda, Yemen, Burundi, Djibouti, Somalia, Sudan, Tanzania (it seems largely former British territories... - could it be because they're not head of states?)...and France!

I'm sure there are others.

Axl.

fetchezlavache

france
    no french person ever calls the french president 'his excellency'. that's all i needed to know..

karim, thanks for having let me use your thread for a different purpose than your original question.

Axl

England, English
    fetchezlavache said:
    no french person ever calls the french president 'his excellency'. that's all i needed to know..
    That's the impression I got as well. Perhaps it's a courtesy title used when the French President is abroad...

Axl.

< Previous | Next >