soy un rendido

• Pauli_cl

Castellano (Chile)
    Hello,
    Mmmh... I have not heard that before, but I'll try to explain what I believe (in my poor english)
    You say "me rindo" when you give up (guessing, playing, fighting, etc.), so if you usually give up, we could say that you are a loser, "un perdedor". So maybe the speaker was trying to say that.
    And, by other hand, when you are very tired, you say "estoy rendido" (estoy agotado, exhausted), but I don't know if he was trying to say that.
    Did I help a little bit?

wightmouse

English - England
    A bit, the protagonist is capitán Alegría, this text is from a book about the civil war, describing his surrender to the enemy, so “me rindo” is what he meant to say. The text suggests that he didn’t say this because it was too concrete, but said “¡soy un rendido!” instead. It doesn’t make any sense to me...is there a different meaning for “ser un rendido” and “estar un rendido”?
    Thanks

Pauli_cl

Castellano (Chile)
    Sorry, I really don't know.
    The only thing I can think of now is that maybe this capitán Alegría said "soy un rendido", because he had already surrendered when he was found or asked to surrender.
    Anyway, "ser un rendido" could exist, but "estar un rendido" definitely no.

Antpax

Spanish Spain
    Sorry, I really don't know.
    The only thing I can think of now is that maybe this capitán Alegría said "soy un rendido", because he had already surrendered when he was found or asked to surrender.
    Anyway, "ser un rendido" could exist, but "estar un rendido" definitely no.
    Hi,

Yes, and no. This is a perfect explanation but it is not completely exact. But you cannot know it if you haven´t read the book (Los girasoles ciegos).

Actually he is meaning "me rindo" (I surrender) when he says so to republican troops, because he had not surrendered before to anybody. But, the book is describing how he feels, and why he decided to surrender. Then when he goes to the enemy troops he shouts "soy un rendido" because he has previously surrender to himself, he had convinced himself he is a "rendido" because he doesn´t want to follow his own army anymore.

Ufff, this is a bit complicated to me to explain it in English.

The whole book is similar, always using this kind of expressions, pkaying with feeling and thinkings, but it is a highly recommending book. :thumbsup:

Good luck with it!! :)

Cheers.

Ant

< Previous | Next >