spa in a hotel!

< Previous | Next >

guilaK

Persian
Hi everybody

Wonderful food service and a very helpful concierge desk, and one of the biggest and best spa and health clubs on the roof, make this quite a hotel.

The sentence above is a part of an ads for a hotel. The phrase'' spa on the roof'' surprised me. According to ''Oxford Advanced Learner's'' dictionary,and Longman, spa, refers to a spring of mineral water considered to be healthy to drink; a place where there is such a spring.Would you clarify it for me, please?

thanks in advance

• Tazzler

American English
    A spa doesn't necessarily have to be natural. It could very well be just a fitness and health center with baths. "on the roof" is literal of course.

timpeac

English (England)
    Hi everybody

Wonderful food service and a very helpful concierge desk, and one of the biggest and best spa and health clubs on the roof, make this quite a hotel.

The sentence above is a part of an ads for a hotel. The phrase'' spa on the roof'' surprised me. According to ''Oxford Advanced Learner's'' dictionary,and Longman, spa, refers to a spring of mineral water considered to be healthy to drink; a place where there is such a spring.Would you clarify it for me, please?

thanks in advance
    Yes, that definition is correct - but you do see "health spa" used to refer to a building offering alternative therapies that isn't actually built on a "spa" (although that is the history of the word).

pob14

American English
    You're also dealing with hotel marketing language there, and more than a little exaggeration may be going on. In the hotel world, "spa" often means no more than "we have a hot tub, and it might even be open when you get here."

Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    Sorry, guilaK, that dictionary is incomplete or out of date. "Spa" is used for a facility that provides various "health" related services such as massages, application of various substances (mud, cucumbers, etc.) to the face or body that are supposed to somehow improve the appearance of the skin, perhaps artificial tanning, and other services. Some "spas" provide a wide range of such services, but in some cases the term is undoubtedly used with a great deal of exaggeration and actually refers to only perfunctory provision of a limited range of such services or only one. In your example, the hotel claims to have "one of the biggest and best" such facilities. It's on the roof, which probably means it is not actually an open-air facility but is in a "penthouse," i.e., the top story of the hotel does not cover as much area as the next lower story, so that in fact part of the next lower story is covered by the "roof." Depending on the weather where this hotel is located, the "spa" might have lounge chairs for sunbathing in the open air on the "roof," or might perform some services like massages outdoors on the "roof," but there is probably some covered structure up there, too. In any case, it need not be located near any kind of natural mineral-water spring, such as those in the town of Spa, in Belgium, which gave its name to a general type of facility.

JamesM

I agree with Fabulist. In fact, it's very common here in California to find "day spas" in shopping malls and strip malls. They simply offer beauty treatments and massages for clients. They are nowhere near a natural spring. :)

Remember to try our dictionary here, too:

spa

It mentions a commercial establishment offering health and beauty treatments.

guilaK

Persian
    Thanks a lot.I Consulted some dictionaries and thesauruses on line, I found many synonyms for '' spa'' , some of them such as; gymnasium, health club, fat farm, holiday spot, etc seem interesting and surprising. Would you tell me the ones being interchangeably used nowadays, please? The time I started to learn English in the united states ,some years ago , I didn't imagine '' a word meaning, '' a natural resort with mineral water and fountains '' would become synonymous with; gymnasium, lodge, etc!!:)

thanks in advance

< Previous | Next >