1. Max2102 Member

Español
    Is the difference between these tools the shape?. According to google images a "spade" has straight end and a "shovel" a rounded one. Is that true?

2. kayokid

kayokid Senior Member/Moderator

Chicago
    English, USA
    Hello. I don't believe that that is true. I saw both rounded ends and straight ends when I did a google search for 'spade'. My own impression was that a spade was relatively smaller and lighter than a shovel, in general, but from the pictures that I saw that does not necessarily seem to be the case either...

3. Alisterio

Alisterio Senior Member

Mexico City
    UK English
    Spades and shovels are used for different things: a spade is used for digging - it tends to have a sharp, flat end, which is useful for cutting into the earth; a shovel is used to move loose material from one place to another, like loose soil or pieces of coal - it can have either a flat end or it can be pointed, depending on the specific task it is intended for. As far as I know, both tools are translated as "pala" in Spanish...

4. albertovidal

albertovidal Senior Member

Bs.As.-Argentina
    Spanish, Argentina

5. Max2102 Member

Español
    Thanks kayokid and alisterio

I failed to recall other word than "pala" for said tools, but It can be used in any context without any problem of meaning.

6. INFOJACK

INFOJACK Senior Member

Venezuela
    SPANISH
  7. inib

inib Senior Member

La Rioja, Spain
    British English
    Hello again.
    In post #3 Alisterio has already done the hard work for me by explaining nicely the difference between a spade and a shovel in English. In my experience too, both are called "pala" in Spanish. But my question is: is there any way of distinguishing them by adding an adjective, for example, or if I wanted to buy one or the other, would I have to give an explanation like "una pala para cavar/una pala para cargar"?
    Thanks for any comments.

8. Rubns

Rubns Senior Member

Extremadura/Spain/EU
    Español - Spanish (Spain)
    I think you'd have to give an explanation:

- Spade: pala para cavar.
    - Shovel: pala (grande) para mover tierra, hojas, nieve etc.

9. inib

inib Senior Member

La Rioja, Spain
    British English
    Thanks Rubns. Very clear now ;)

10. aloofsocialite

aloofsocialite Senior Member

San Francisco / Oakland, CA
    English - USA (California)
  11. csmontagna New Member

Argentina
    Spanish
    En la Argentina tenemos una distinción: Spade = Pala de punta. Shovel = Pala ancha. Trowel = Pala de jardín.
    Saludos.