spank down time

< Previous | Next >

JuriTerreni

Chinese-China
From TV series Sneaky Pete,

Pete is a con man, he sees 2 thieves in a park. So he decides to give them a lesson. He steals their stuff and then ask them to meet him. He says to them(a boy and a girl):
You(to the girl) know how to take a wallet out of bed and put it on its feet. You(to the boy), it's like all you know how to do is spank down time. You just want to take advantage of opportunity. It would take somebody like you years to become a single-o.

What does "spank down time " mean? Thank you.

• Trochfa

UK
    English - England
    I think in this context "spank down time" means to "waste time" [in the sense of "beating it down", or "marking time"], by distracting victims while the girl picks people's pockets.

Pete praises the girl for her wallet stealing skills. He is dismissive of the boy saying essentially, "all you can do is waste time [while she does the real work]."

He goes on to say it would therefore take the boy years to become a "single-o" [a criminal working alone, presumably derived from "single operator"], whereas the girl already has the necessary skills.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    From TV series Sneaky Pete,

Pete is a con man, he sees 2 thieves in a park. So he decides to give them a lesson. He steals their stuff and then ask them to meet him. He says to them(a boy and a girl):
    You(to the girl) know how to take a wallet out of bed and put it on its feet. You(to the boy), it's like all you know how to do is spank down time. You just want to take advantage of opportunity. It would take somebody like you years to become a single-o.

What does "spank down time " mean? Thank you.
    He (or rather, the script-writer) uses several phrases that are not normal English phrases, including "to spank down time", "single-o", and "take a wallet out of bed and put it on its feet". I do not know what any of those mean, and I have never heard any of them.

If the show takes place in the future, I think the script-writer is inventing "future slang". If it takes place in the present, these phrases are meant to be "con man slang" or "criminal slang". I don't know if real con-men and criminals say these things, or if the script-writer invented them.

< Previous | Next >