'spare me over' til another year

• dreamlike

Polish
    Would you care to give us more context? :) By which I mean a sentence in which you've come across 'spare somebody over'.

dreamlike

Polish
    I don't see how "spare somebody over till another year " could be different from "spare somebody till another year". The 'over' strikes me as redundant here.

You are familiar with the meaning of the verb 'spare', aren't you?

LilianaB

Banned
    Lithuanian
    Hi. It just means spare here -- spare me. Over is just an emphatic use, here, in my opinion -- like help me up, instead of help me. It might be redundant in everyday speech, but it is not redundant in this poem. It is a part of the poetic structure, and has a particular purpose.

Copyright

American English
    Please give us the source -- song and artist. And please spell out "sb" in the future: I've changed it in the subject line. Thank you.

dreamlike

Polish
    yes i know spare meanings, but i read verb + pron + prep, so i wrongly tought about a phrasal verb...
    If i remove "over" sentence sounds clear...
    Thanks!
    That's all right. The meaning is not different from 'spare me till another year'. For some reason, the author the decided to use 'over', but this adds nothing whatsoever to the meaning. :) The interest he might have had in doing so may be as indicated by Liliana.

< Previous | Next >