Speak English / Speak in English

• Alxmrphi

UK English
    They're both correct.
    The second one is more likely to be used in a situation where people have a multiple variety of languages available to comunicate in, and someone is saying to switch to English for a while.

Generally for the ability to be able to speak English, you don't use the preposition in.
    If you have the option to speak multiple languages I personally think "Speak English" is a bit hostile, and I would (and do) use the "in English" version when I'm speaking in Italian and maybe it's excluding an English speaker that I don't want to be rude to.

rayne117

English
    If you have the option to speak multiple languages I personally think "Speak English" is a bit hostile

I thought the same thing. I couldn't see someone saying "Speak English" in any context other than a hostile one. The ", please." at the end does differ the hostility a bit.

owlman5

English-US
    That's interesting. It wouldn't bother me at all as long as the speaker used "please" and a pleasant tone of voice. When people ask me to do this, I don't give a hoot whether they use "in" or not. :)

Alxmrphi

UK English
    That's interesting. It wouldn't bother me at all as long as the speaker used "please" and a pleasant tone of voice. When people ask me to do this, I don't give a hoot whether they use "in" or not. :)

If it was a non-native speaker / learner, and was preceded by a "Can you.." then it wouldn't strike me as being hostile either, you don't think these things when they are said by a learner of English. I was talking about it coming from a native English speaker, and I'm pretty sure rayne was as well.

This just goes to show you can't expect a conclusive answer without giving any context with the question.

Ian_M

Banned
    Canadian English
    I agree that the phrase speak english is universally considered pejorative & demeaning & should never be uttered.

Having said that, the use of the preposition in in like phrases has been largely deprecated over the last 30 to 40 years.

Personally, I don't mind that. I'm a grammar freak but I'm also a forward looking language junkie.

Ian

Last edited: