Speak of

Parergon

Italiano, Italia
The neoclassical tradition in economics speaks of organizations as a mere tool to combine the factors of production – inputs that are turned into outputs.

* Do you think "speak of" is correct in this context? Or would you say something different to say "consider/see"?

• nzseries1

New Zealand - English
    Using speak of is correct. You could use "consider" or "see", but note the difference:

Using "speak of", this means there is actually explicit or documented evidence that the tradition thinks of organizations this way.
    Using "consider/see", it's more likely to be implicit or inferred.

m5acb

UK: English
    It is not "The neoclassical tradition in economics" that "speak of" it should be the advocates (i.e. the people that hold the beliefs) that do the speaking. Therefore I would write "The advocates of the neoclassical tradition in economics speak of..."

Kind regards,

nzseries1

New Zealand - English
    M5acb, I don't agree.

Would you not say "The bible speaks of..." simply because it is the people the bible talks about that actually does the speaking, not the bible itself?

m5acb

UK: English
    No, I would not say that "The bible speaks of..." unless one is being deliberately poetic.

I would be more likely to say "It says in the bible..." or "The bible stories describe...

I can almost hear my English master shouting " A bible cannot speak".

But maybe I'm old fashioned, since my English master must have died some time ago.

nzseries1

New Zealand - English
    I would be more likely to say "It says in the bible..." or "The bible stories describe...

I agree with what you say here, and you're right, it is very poetic. Perhaps I have just become so used to hearing constructions such as this, that it simply sounds completely natural to me now.