speak out your thoughts

the_one_and_only

Romania, Romanian
Hi everybody,

Are you so kind as to tell me whether: speak out your thoughts! is correct for when you want to ask somebody to say what he thinks? I know there is a specific phrase for that, which is: to speak your mind but I was wondering if it´s appropiate to use speak out as well in this kind of context.
Thank you indeed!

• charisma_classic

English, U.S.A.
    "Speak your mind"
    "Tell me what you're thinking"
    "Tell my your thoughts"

Any of the above phrases would work, but "Speak out your thoughts" does not.

You could say, "Speak out about your thoughts" if you wish it to be a general statement as opposed to something they should do at this particular moment.

Nymeria

English - Barbadian/British/educated in US universities blend
    Hi everybody,

Are you so kind as to tell me whether: speak out your thoughts! is correct for when you want to ask somebody to say what he thinks? I know there is a specific phrase for that, which is: to speak your mind but I was wondering if it´s appropiate to use speak out as well in this kind of context.
    Thank you indeed!
    Would you be so kind as to tell me whether "speak out your thoughts" can be used when you want to ask somebody to say what s(h)e thinks? I know there is a specific phrase for that, which is "to speak your mind", but I was wondering if it's also appropriate to use speak out in this kind of context.
    Thank you indeed!

the_one_and_only

Romania, Romanian
    Unfortunately I don´t have any context.
    The phrase was: speak out about your thoughts. Probably it´s not appropiate saying so.

charisma_classic

English, U.S.A.
    "Speak your mind"
    "Tell me what you're thinking"
    "Tell my your thoughts"

Any of the above phrases would work, but "Speak out your thoughts" does not.

You could say, "Speak out about your thoughts" if you wish it to be a general statement as opposed to something they should do at this particular moment.
    I can't seem to edit my typo - but the phrase I tried to type should be "tell me your thoughts".

kalamazoo

US, English
    YOu can use "speak out" by itself. For instance, you could say "If you don't like what's happening, you need to speak out (or "speak up") before it's too late." But you wouldn't say "speak out your thoughts"

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Unfortunately I don´t have any context.
    The phrase was: speak out about your thoughts. Probably it´s not appropiate saying so.
    The phrase "speak out" generally means that a person is not afraid to say what they think ie:

A: "It's such a shame that my sister is marrying that low-down, lying, cheating scumbag"
    B: "Well then, speak out about it!"

In your context, "speak out about your thoughts" doesn't really work. There are many ways of saying this, depending on context ie:

"Please tell me what you're thinking" OR
    "Please don't be afraid to tell me your thoughts" OR
    "What are your thoughts on this subject?"

In North America, we have a saying that is "A penny for your thoughts". This is usually used when we're talking to someone about something and they become pensive and seem to want to say something but are holding back. We've all had that experience and "A penny for your thoughts" is intended to mean "Please don't hold back - tell me what you're thinking".

HolyUnicorn

Mandarin / the Shanghai Dialect
    Some people are shy. They don’t like to speak out their love. (Self-made sentence)

Is “speak out ” correct here?

< Previous | Next >