speaking Chinese makes me feel embarrassed because I don't know if people understand my accent

< Previous | Next >

maghanish2

United States - English
大家好!

請你們幫幫我。 下面的句話對嗎?

Speaking Chinese makes me feel embarrassed because I don't know if people understand my accent.

說中文讓我覺得很尷尬因為我不知道別人聽懂我的口音。

謝謝大家的幫忙!

• indigoduck

Canadian English
    大家好!

請你們幫幫我。 下面的句話對嗎?

Speaking Chinese makes me feel embarrassed because I don't know if people understand my accent.

謝謝大家的幫忙!
    Is your audience a linguistics class?

I would simplify the sentence to: "Speaking Chinese sometimes makes me feel embarrassed because I don't know if people understand what i want to say"

說中文有时会讓我覺得很尷尬因為我不知道別人聽不聽得懂我想说的话。

In response, i would say:

That's the beauty of language and for the beginner, that's the beauty of the chinese language. Several accents from several regions combine to make the chinese language sometimes so difficult yet so fun to learn. Just look at all the different questions we have in this forum. Try your best! Sometimes it's okay to feel embarassed! Don't be afraid to make mistakes!

sisuer

Chinese

Hi, maghanish2。You should add "能不能" to the sentence. “說中文讓我覺得很尷尬因為我不知道別人能不能聽懂我的口音。”

kong.zhong

Chinese-China
    說中文讓我覺得很尷尬因為我不知道別人(能不能 or 能否)聽懂我的口音。

By the way, there are lots of different accent in China from different place.

xiaolijie

UK
    English (UK)
    I think as a non-chinese native, you shouldn't use 我的口音 but use instead something like 我的中文( or 我的发音, if you're particularly concerned about your foreign accent). 口音 to me seems to indicate one of the accents local to the Chinese speaking community. Am I correct?

Last edited:

jeffyyko

mandarin
    If add some word ,which will be prefect

“說中文讓我覺得很尷尬因為我不知道別人"add part"聽懂我的口音。”

In this sentence we can add some words like, 能否、能不能、是否能 replace the red characters .

Hope to help

-------------
    @ jeffyyko: It would be helpful if you'd read the previous replies before responding. See post #3 and #4 in relation to your reply.

Last edited by a moderator:

sisuer

Chinese
    I think as a non-chinese native, you shouldn't use 我的口音 but use instead something like 我的中文( or 我的发音, if you're particularly concerned about your foreign accent). 口音 to me seems to indicate one of the accents local to the Chinese speaking community. Am I correct?
    I think it's all right if non-native speakers use "口音" to refer to their accent. Apart from "北方口音", "南方口音" etc., which belong to the Chinese speaking community, we also say "印度口音“, "英国口音" etc. to describe foreign accents.

maghanish2

United States - English
    Thank you for all of your help! I'm glad to know that I was only missing a few words.

manshun1982

Cantonese
    First of all, there should be a comma between "尷尬" and "因為". Second, the original sentence is strange -- you shouldn't feel embarrassed if you don't know whether others can understand you; you should be afraid/nervous (to speak Chinese.) For this reason, I would say all suggestions are grammatically correct, but a better translation would be "我很怕說中文,(因為)怕別人/人家聽不懂。" This is what a Chinese would probably say.

Never translate English to Chinese directly.

yuechu

Canada, English
    Oh... perhaps would 不好意思 be a better way of translating "embarrassed" than "尴尬", since I think 尴尬 might be more like an awkward embarrassed (opposed to a nervous embarrassed)?

Skatinginbc

Mandarin 國語
    I think 尴尬 might be more like an awkward embarrassed (opposed to a nervous embarrassed)?
    Good point. 尴尬 is the feeling of awkwardness--discomfited by a social dilemma or embarrassed by one's own out-of-the-ordinary behavior.
    不好意思 is the feeling of shyness--embarrassed as a result of self-consciousness or lack of confidence in the presence of others.

< Previous | Next >