special 'strand' for teachers

Norm

Spanish - Argentina
Hi!
I came across this phrase which made me doubt a bit...

"our special strand for teachers will enable you to join hundreds of other teachers"

My doubt is whith the prep "for". I would've used "of"

Thanks for your help!

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    Where did you come across this phrase? (That's one of the forum requirements.) I suspect they use "strand" to mean something like a thread of posts on a Web site, with this one focused on teachers' needs, but we can't tell without more context.

George French

English - UK
    Hi!
    I came across this phrase which made me doubt a bit...

"our special strand for teachers will enable you to join hundreds of other teachers"

My doubt is whith the prep "for". I would've used "of"

Thanks for your help!
    For is fine, of is not. Strand could be used, one of its meanings is thread.. But it is all out of context..... What is the context?

GF..

Last edited:

Loob

English UK
    Please give us more context, Norm.

You can - should - tell us in you own words what the advertisement was about. And you can quote up to four sentences from the actual text:).

Norm

Spanish - Argentina
    Sorry I can't paste it. It is an ad offering courses for teachers. So they say that those courses are the best!
    They offer the best quality and they start up with this sentence..."our special strand for teachers...."

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Is it an native English website/newspaper or from a country where there are other official languages than English?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Here is the webpage describing the Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction at Concordia University in Portland Oregon.

They use the word 'strand' to refer to the series of courses that relate to a certain specialization. For example:

ESOL — English for Speakers of Other Languages Strand (13)

A strand for teachers in all authorization levels who want to develop instructional strategies to better accommodate students whose native language is not English. This strand, with the addition of a practicum and the teaching of a work sample, can be added to an existing license as an additional endorsement with the passing of the Praxis II exam.

In this context, at least, 'for' is the correct preposition, as George French says. The courses are for the teachers, or the people who plan to be teachers. It will enable them to teach this specialty.

< Previous | Next >