speedboat = division within the corporation?

fenixpollo

American English
In a multinational company that I have done work for, there are different European divisions/business units/departments. I heard a German associate of mine refer to one of these divisions of the company as a speedboat.

The software speedboat of our company experienced growth last quarter, while the microchip speedboat saw a decrease in profit.

Is "speedboat" in this context a common usage in European English? What are some other ways that are used to describe the divisions, departments or units within a larger company?

I'm wondering whether "speedboat" is only used in my company...

• loladamore

English UK
    It's not something I've ever heard of, but I did find this. I don't know if that is at all relevant in your context. If I come up with anything else I'll let you know.

Lola.

EDIT: This might be more relevant.

MissFit

It sounds like this associate has been to a motivational business seminar and he's using the jargon he learned there without considering that it's virtually meaningless to his current audience.

fenixpollo

American English
    Thanks, lola, for rescuing me. ;)

Actually, MissFit, all of my American colleagues are using this term now, and it's become part of my company's jargon. As far as I know, everyone in our European group also uses it. :confused:

loladamore

English UK
    Ha ha - I posted the first link before coffee. I've only just realised it's a game! :eek:
    Still, I found a few other pages along the lines of the second one, so it does seem like it probably refers to customer relations whatnots. There is a waffly blog here that talks about boat metaphors and "user experience".

I was about to say saludos - can I say that here?

Cheers!

fenixpollo

American English
    By all means, lola, and thanks for your help.

Unless anyone can offer more insight, it seems that this is jargon that is specific to my company. Hmmm... more hateful corporate jargon. Just what we needed. :rolleyes:

Saludos!

< Previous | Next >