speedy groundcover

< Previous | Next >

armadillo

United States, English
Is it correct to use speedy as the adjective with the noun groundcover, the idea being that it is a quick spreader. I think it is incorrect because speedy seems to imply actual movement.

• jacinta

USA English
    Normally when talking about plants, speedy doesn't come to mind. Sounds a little strange. I imagine some science fiction in it: speedy vines covered and devoured him!!!
    I think a better term would be fast-growing or hardy although hardy doesn't mean fast growing, just easy-to-grow.

Tomas Robinson

USA, English & Spanish
    armadillo said:
    Is it correct to use speedy as the adjective with the noun groundcover, the idea being that it is a quick spreader. I think it is incorrect because speedy seems to imply actual movement.
    Hi armadillo...

I'd say "it spreads quickly". "Speedy" DOES imply movement, unless as jacinta notes it's a plant from outer space. :eek:

Felicidades! :)

Sybil

US
    Poland/Polish
    Armadillo,

I think that the word you are looking for is "fast growing." (It's hyphenated when it precedes the noun: "fast-growing ground cover.")

leenico

U.S.A. english
    If you wanted to use the word "speedy" you could say "this groundcover is known for it's speedy growth". :)

< Previous | Next >